Disability Services Offered in CBU/Online
California Baptist University’s Online and Professional Studies (OPS) is committed to providing services that facilitate the academic and personal goals of each student. In accordance with federal law, students with documented disabilities are entitled to reasonable and appropriate educational accommodations. CBU is committed to equal opportunity for persons with disabilities without regard to their disability in the recruitment of, admission to, participation in, treatment in or employment in the programs and activities operated and sponsored by the university. Disability Student Services (DSS) is the office designated to register and assist any student with a "qualified" learning, physical, or psychological disability.
- The student makes an official request for specific educational accommodations in writing by e-mailing email@example.com from their CBU Lancer mail account or contacting our office by phone at (951)343-2190 to request the required forms.
- The student submits all 3 forms and any additional documentation they wish to provide for review and consideration. All testing and evaluations must have been completed within three (3) years of request for accommodations. Any additional documentation needs to be on official letterhead, dated within the last 3 years, and signed by a qualified and licensed professional.
- If the student is to receive disability accommodations, Dr. Kathryn Norwood, Assistant Dean for Student and Faculty Development, will coordinate the approved services with the appropriate offices and persons. The student will also receive a letter from Dr. Norwood describing the accommodations. The DSS office will automatically notify the student’s instructors of the approved accommodations.
- Specific recommendations for accommodations and additional observations are helpful in determining appropriate services. Final determination of reasonable accommodations is made by the University.
- CBU is in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Title II), which prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability.
- While it is not required for a student to inform CBU of a disability, it is the responsibility of the student to inform the school if accommodations will be requested for a qualified disability. A student’s disclosure of a disability is always voluntary.
- How long is the approval process? In order to allow sufficient time for the DSS office to process the request, the required forms should be submitted no later than 2 weeks prior to the start of classes. It is in the best interest of the student to initiate the process at the earliest opportunity.
- What kind of documentation do I need to submit? When a student requests accommodations from the Disability Student Services office, the necessary forms will be provided to the student along with instructions for completion.
- How often do I need to apply/re-apply for services? The OPS Academic calendar has 3 semesters throughout the year: Fall, Spring, and Summer. In order to continue receiving accommodations without interruption, each student will need to complete an accommodations renewal form for each semester of attendance.
- How will my professors know if I have approved accommodations? The DSS office will notify each professor in writing once the accommodations have been approved.
Dr. Kathryn Norwood
Assistant Dean for Student
and Faculty Development
Our office is located at:
California Baptist University
10370 Hemet Street
Riverside, CA 92503